Lose 8 Pounds in 4 Weeks!
When the weather starts to heat up, so do our thoughts about weight loss. But don't try to lose more than 1/2 to 2 pounds a week without medical supervision, or it can be harmful to your health. And your diet will likely fail.
Read What It Takes to Lose It All to find out why losing weight too quickly is one of the common reasons diets fail.
Here are some tips to help guide you as you head into summer:
- Eat at least two servings of fruit and three servings of vegetables a day, and eat the actual fruit and vegetables rather than their fiberless juices, which are higher in calories.
- Make at least 90% of your grains whole grains. You'll get more fiber, vitamins E and B6, magnesium, zinc, copper, manganese and potassium, and the complex carbohydrates will help you lose weight.
- Eat three meals and two or three snacks a day. Generally, eat every 3-4 hours so you don't become overly hungry, and to sustain your metabolism.
- Say no to sugar-sweetened drinks. Choose drinks that have no calories, or drinks that provide nutrients as well as calories, like milk and soymilk.
- Water is a great choice, and important for weight loss. Studies have shown that often when people feel hungry they are really only thirsty. Drink water throughout the day.
- Decrease the amount of prepared foods you eat, including frozen meals and food from restaurants. These foods are typically high in sodium and calories. The sodium leads to water retention, and the calories lead to fat. Both show up on the scale.
- Move it! Whether you're walking around the block or jogging by the mile, ramp it up as your body becomes able. More movement burns more calories.
Keep these tips in mind and you'll enjoy your summer even more.
Megan Porter, RD