Food Substitutions for Cooking and Baking
Cooking and baking foods that are high in calories makes losing weight just that much more difficult. But it's easy to decrease the calorie content of your favorite recipes by trimming the fat with these healthy ingredient substitutions:
- Cream: Use evaporated skim milk. For soups, use pureed potatoes or other vegetables. In coffee and tea, use fat-free half-and-half.
- Butter: Use small amounts of canola oil and broth.
- 2 oz Mild Cheese: Use 1 oz extra sharp cheese.
- Ground Beef: Use 99% fat-free ground turkey or 7% fat ground beef.
- 1/2 cup Butter: Use 1/4 cup applesauce or prune puree and 1/4 cup canola oil.
- 1 Egg: Use 2 egg whites or a product like Deb El Just Whites Dried Egg Whites available from amazon.com.
- Sweetened Condensed Milk: Use Skim Sweetened Condensed Milk.
- 1 cup All-Purpose Flour: Use 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour.
- 1 cup Chocolate Chips: Use 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips.
- Frosting: Use sliced fruit, pureed fruit, or a non-fat whipping cream.
It's up to you how you prepare your favorite recipes. Perhaps finding a good low-fat or low-calorie recipe book will help you get started. Making healthier, lower calorie choices in your cooking and baking will help you maintain a trim, healthy body.
Megan Porter, RD