Weight Loss Calculators Troubleshooting and Support
Calories Per Hour
Walking, Running, In-Line Skating, and Bicycling Calculators: These calculators allow you to estimate calories burned for any speed within the range of available data for these activities. In fact, you don't have to know your speed; the calculator will calculate it for you.
- Calories & Kilojoules: The calculator defaults to calories (kcal). Click on the Kilojoules button if you prefer to work in kilojoules (kJ).
- Selecting a calculator: Begin by selecting one of the eight calculators:
When you want to select a different calculator, click on the Calculator button and the selection of calculators will reappear.
- BMR & RMR
- In-Line Skating
- Precor EFX 546 Elliptical
- BMI Calculator: The BMI Calculator calculates your Body Mass Index as explained in Calculating BMI. Enter your height and weight, then click on the Calculate button.
- BMR & RMR Calculator: The BMR & RMR Calculator calculates your Basal and Resting Metabolic Rates as explained in Calculating BMR and RMR. Enter your sex, age, height and weight, then click on the Calculate button.
- Activity Calculator: The Activity Calculator allows you to estimate calories burned by hundreds of different activities, including walking, running, and bicycling for specified speeds.
Note that calories burned calculations reflect the total number of calories burned during the period of time calculated. Therefore when using the Activity Calculator to estimate how many calories you burn in a day, do not add your BMR or RMR to the results. Use one method or the other.
- After selecting the Activity Calculator, the contents of the activity list will be displayed on the screen and you can then scroll through the list and click on an activity to select it.
An alternate way to select an activity is to use the Activity Search feature. You may find this easier than scrolling through the activity list. See Instructions for the Activity Search Feature.
- Enter parameters for weight and time, then click on the Calculate button.
Note that you can also select how you measure speed and length. These selections affect the appearance of the activities list, but do not affect the calculations.
- There are three ways to select a different activity after making a calculation:
- Click on the View List button and the complete selection of activities will reappear.
- Click on a letter of the alphabet and a list of the activities which begin with the letter selected will appear.
- Use the Activity Search feature as noted above.
Precor EFX 546 Elliptical Calculator: This calculator estimates calories burned for the Precor EFX 546, the most popular elliptical trainer. Data is not available for other models.
- After selecting one of these four calculators, select one of the three Methods of Calculation:
- Enter Time and Speed to Calculate Distance
- Enter Time and Distance to Calculate Speed
- Enter Speed and Distance to Calculate Time
- Enter parameters for weight, time, speed and distance as they appear on the calculator, then click on the Calculate button.
- To calculate with a different method, click on the Methods button and the selection of methods will reappear.
Enter parameters for weight, time, strides per minute and resistance, then click on the Calculate button.
Note that while the EFX 546's Cross Ramp (incline) setting affects which muscles are being targeted, it does not affect calories burned. Therefore the Cross Ramp setting is not required by this calculator.
Calculator Results: The results of your calculations accumulate in the Results panel.
The results of BMI, BMR & RMR calculations are displayed along with explanatory notes. For calories burned calculations, the results accumulate with totals for calories and hours appearing at the top of the list.
When you leave the calculator, the totals of your calculations will be saved. When you return to the calculator the totals of your previous calculations will be displayed.
Calorie Balance, the difference between calories consumed and calories burned, is displayed at the bottom of the Results box. See Instructions for the Calorie Balance Feature.
View Results Button: Once you have made a calculation the results will appear in the Results panel. However, the Results panel is not always displayed on the screen. For example, when you are viewing the activity list.
Anytime you like you can click on the View Results button to return the Results panel to the screen.
Undo Button: Click on the Undo button to back up one calculation.
Clear Button: Click on the Clear button to delete your previous calculations and totals and begin a new results list.